In 2014, Lee was elected to the United States Congress, ousting a twelve-year incumbent in one of the nation’s most competitive House races. The underdog, Congressman Zeldin earned a ten point victory over the Democratic incumbent following a GOP primary that Lee won by over 22 points where over $4 million was spent against him. In 2016, Lee won his campaign for reelection with almost 60% of the vote in one of the most closely watched races in that election cycle.
Since entering Congress in 2015, Lee has pursued an aggressive agenda in Washington, DC, on top local, domestic and international issues; quickly becoming one of the nation’s leading proponents for a stronger, more effective foreign policy that defeats ISIS and other terrorist threats, secures our homeland, and treats our nation’s friends as our friends, and our adversaries as our adversaries.
Lee frequently secures important local victories for our district, which have included among many other successes:
• Championing the reauthorization of the Zadroga Act and 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund to ensure we honor our commitment to 9/11 victims and first responders
• Securing $8.3 billion in much needed funding to support treatment, enforcement, and prevention for those affected by the heroin and opioid abuse crisis
• Working with the Secretary of Energy to bring home $2 billion in funding for the construction of the Electron Ion Collider project at Brookhaven National Lab
• Introducing and passing into law his Adult Day Health Care legislation for disabled veterans and opening a new health care clinic for East End veterans
• Bringing to justice MS-13 and other gang members
• Protecting our environment by tripling funding for the Long Island Sound Program and fully funding the National Estuary Program
• Securing the passage and enactment of his common core amendment and Safe Bridges proposal
• Successfully resolving over 11,000 constituent cases in favor of NY-1 residents.
In 2018, Lee was re-elected to serve New York’s First District. One of only two Jewish Republicans in Congress, Lee co-chairs the House Republican Israel Caucus, and serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and Financial Services Committee. He also serves on four House Subcommittees including as ranking member of the Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations.